Dog Bee Or Wasp Sting

Dog Bee Or Wasp Sting

Dogs are very much like children. They have little awareness of risk and take delight in the simple pleasures of life. Many of these involve running about and snapping at things and chasing things that are flying about. Most of this time this is harmless, but what happens when they chase - and catch - a bee or wasp and end up being stung? As humans may know, a bee sting or a wasp sting can be excruciating. In many cases, it is little more than a minor irritation, but occasionally, a bee or wasp sting may need veterinary attention.

How do you know if your dog has been stung by a wasp or stung by a bee?

  • Whining
  • Pawing at the face, if they have been stung by a bee or wasp in the mouth
  • Biting at the affected area
  • Holding up paws, if they have been stung by a bee or wasp on their paws
  • Swelling

Do you need to go and see a vet?

Most times, if your dog is stung by a wasp or a bee, they can be treated at home. However, if they have been stung in the mouth or the throat, you should seek advice from your vet. Keep a close eye on it, as it can cause swelling to the airways and prevent your dog from breathing. You should also talk to your vet if they have been stung multiple times or appear to be allergic to the stings.

How do you know if your dog is having an allergic reaction to a bee or wasp sting?

If your dog begins to show any of the following signs after being stung by a bee or a wasp, seek emergency medical treatment from a vet immediately:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Weakness
  • Collapsing
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Severe swelling


First and foremost, keep calm. When your four-legged furry friend is showing signs of distress, it is easy to get worked up and anxious, but if you stay calm, you will be in a much better position to help them. Dogs are sensitive creatures and can pick up on your emotions. If they can sense your panic, they too can become more anxious, which can exaggerate any symptoms.

The next thing to do is to see if you can remove the sting. A bank card is a useful 'tool' for this - try to scrape the bee or wasp sting away from the sack of venom. Never pull or squeeze the sting while it is still in your pet - this can cause it to release more venom.

Once you have removed the sting, take steps to ease the swelling. An ice pack wrapped in a clean cloth and pressed against it can help, as can making up a paste with baking soda and water and applying to the affected area for 15 minutes. Cover it with a bandage to prevent your dog from licking it.

Once you have done that, assuming there are no severe reactions, keep an eye on it for a couple of days. If after this, the swelling persists or other symptoms appear, go to the vets.

Click here to view our other articles

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.