Pawfect for Pups: Peanut butter Cookies
It’s one of those slow Sundays. You’ve taken the dog out for a walk but now what? How about baking something? But this time, for your furbaby.
You may have never thought about baking for your dog. But it can be great fun, and really rewarding when you get to watch your pooch chow down on your homemade goodies.
If you’re going to give it a go, make sure this is the recipe you follow. These cookies are so quick, easy and delicious, Fido will be begging you to bake some more.
So here’s what you need:
- Parchment paper
- Cookie cutters
- 2 x baking trays
- Rolling pin
- 125g of Peanut butter – smooth or crunchy
- 1tbsp of honey
- 120ml of water
- 3-4 rashers of bacon – smoky or streaky (or pancetta if you’re feeling fancy)
- 65g of oats
- 120g of all purpose flour
- Extras: Add anything else you know your pup enjoys. Apple, carrot, sweet corn, pear…
Let’s begin: Method
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Grill or fry the bacon and set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut up into small chunks.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the water, egg, honey, peanut butter and bacon. (This is the part where you’d add any other extras) Once combined, add the oats and flour and mix until a dough forms.
- Flour your work surface and roll out the dough, around ¼ of an inch thick. Use a cookie cutter (a bone shaped one is obviously preferable, but use whatever shape you like) and place the treats about 1 inch apart on the baking trays.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for around 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. (I recommend keeping your pooch out of the kitchen whilst they cook, unless you want a floor covered in drool)
And that’s it!
It’ll be a good test of character to see if you can keep these as ‘treats’; the dog’s not going to let you give him just one.
Like the sound of this but just don’t have the time?Grab some treats for your dogs online, . No mess, no hassle, no fuss.
Collar getting a bit too tight? Try this healthier, vegan version…
- 125g organic peanut butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 2tbsp of apple sauce
- 120g oat flour
Preheat oven to gas mark 4
- Combine the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Add the oat flour and mix until a dough forms (you may need to add a bit more flour or a couple of drops of water if the mixture is a touch too wet/dry)
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface and cut out shapes with your cookie cutter
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Allow to cool
- Feed to your pup when he’s been a good boy (he’s always a good boy)
And there you have it. What more could you ask for? A happy pup and an afternoon well spent.