Dangerous Foods For Dogs
Do you know which foods are potentially dangerous for your dog? The last thing you want is to unintentionally harm them by feeding them something they shouldn’t have. It’s helpful to be aware of the foods that could be dangerous to your dog. Here are some of the main things to avoid:
Cooked Chicken Bones
Cooked chicken and turkey bones can be dangerous for dogs to eat. It’s the bones that cause the problem not the meat, they can get stuck in your dog’s throat or can splinter in their stomach causing internal damage.
This is probably the food that most people are aware of. Chocolate is particularly dangerous to dogs. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is. It can cause things like vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pains, panting and seizures. A chemical found in chocolate that is similar to caffeine called theobromine is what causes these symptoms.
Raisins & Grapes
Not many people know that raisins and grapes can be dangerous for dogs. It has recently been discovered that they are associated with kidney failure. Not all dogs will suffer a reaction but it’s definitely a food that should be avoided just in case.
Xylitol can be found in sugar free foods, it can also be present in chewing gum, sweets and baked products. It doesn’t cause any issues for humans but for some reason it is very dangerous for dogs. Xylitol can cause liver failure, seizures and low blood sugar in dogs.
It’s obvious that alcohol is not a sensible thing to give dogs, however sadly some people find it amusing. Dogs just aren’t used to the effects of alcohol like we are, their reactions are much more extreme. It can cause sickness, coordination issues, irregular breathing and much worse, even death.
Avocado contains Persin which causes bad reactions in dogs. The symptoms include sickness, diarrhoea, congestion and difficulty breathing.
Avoid giving your dog Macadamia nuts because they contain a dangerous toxin. They can cause panting, sickness, muscle weakness and put pressure on your dog’s nervous system.
Raw dough can be seriously dangerous to dogs because when they eat the dough it can expand in their stomach causing gas, discomfort and possible ruptures. The yeast can also multiply and create alcohol which poisons your dog.
Corn On The Cob
Your dog can eat the sweet corn on the outside of the corn on the cob, however the danger lies in swallowing the hard part in the middle. The corn on the cob can become lodged in your dogs stomach as it cannot be properly digested.