Mikki Recall Training Lead: 20 Feet
Mikki Recall Training Lead 20 Feet / 6.1m
Helps you to teach your puppy to “come back”
Allows you to let your puppy run whilst maintaining control
Let’s you interrupt your puppy’s behaviour without giving him attention
The Mikki Recall Training Lead is ideal for teaching recall and controlling your puppy from a distance. With double crossed box stitching for extra strength and durability.
For best results use in conjuntion with a Mikki Clikka to help teach your puppy not to bite and help prevent your puppy from jumping up, chasing animals or stealing things.
1. Ensure you have some treats or your puppy’s favourite toy with you before you begin the training. Squeaky toys are often good for gaining a puppy’s attention and supervised play should be used to reward good behaviour.
2. Attach the Recall Training Lead to your puppy’s harness or collar and allow him to drift no more than 10ft away from you. When you are ready, call your puppy’s name and the command “Come”, in a happy, excited manner to get his attention.
3. Reward your puppy as soon as he returns to you with a toy or a treat and praise: “Good Dog!”
4. Initially practise your recall in the garden or quiet area using the Recall Training Lead. Continue to recall and reward your puppy until his response is quick and reliable.
5. In a large open area, gradually allow your puppy more freedom while continuing to engage him with recall, treats and praise.
6. If your puppy becomes distracted, hold on to the end and gently reel it in whilst encouraging him to return to you.
7. When your puppy is very reliable, in safe areas you can allow the lead to trail behind him. If necessary, you can pick up or step on the lead to control his movements.
8. Once your puppy has an excellent response to your call, you can walk without the Recall Training Lead.
9. Don’t limit your recall request to the end of a walk. If you do, he will quickly learn that it is the end of their fun off the lead.
Recall regularly during your walks to play, treat and interact with your puppy so that returning to you becomes a positive experience.
- You take extreme care when using the Recall Training Lead and ensure people or other dogs do not get tangled in the line.
- You use the training lead in open spaces.- You don’t use the lead with very strong or powerful puppies.
• If your puppy bites or chases other animals, the lead allows him to exercise without the risk of attacking a person or dog. You can use the lead in conjunction with the Mikki Muzzle to ensure everyone’s safety.
• If your puppy jumps up, the lead should be used to prevent him rushing up to another person with over enthusiastic greeting behaviour. At home you can use it when introducing your puppy to a guest. If the lead is trailing, you can step on it and prevent the jump without giving any attention to him at all. Alternatively, the Mikki Puppy Training Kit (includes the lead) can be used to teach your puppy to “sit” or “down” instead and prevent jumping up.