20 Things You Should Know Before Dating A Dog Owner
If you date a dog owner there aren’t two people in your relationship, there are three. This is the first thing you need to accept. A lot of dog owners cherish their dogs, they mean the absolute world to them.
When potential partners enter the equation they are put through rigorous testing to see whether they can love and look after the dog properly. The main way to a dog owner’s heart is by getting their dog to fall in love with you. One wag of approval from their canine companion and you know you are in. Here are 20 things you need to know if you are thinking of dating a dog owner.
- You can’t date them unless their dog likes you
- You can’t date them unless you like dogs (cat lovers not welcome)
- You have to show them how much you adore their dog
- You will have to go on the occasional dog walk
- You can’t say anything remotely negative about their dog
- Their dog may occasionally join you on your dates
- You might have to share the bed with the dog
- You may not get the best spot on the sofa
- You will shower their dog with toys, treats and gifts
- If you do anything to hurt the dog, let it escape, forget to feed it etc. you will be dumped. Instantly.
- Their parents will judge your suitability based on how well the dog responds to you
- You may not always come first
- Romantic holidays will probably also include the dog
- You may have to put up with a lot of dog hair
- You may have to help out with the occasional dog related chores (grooming, vet trips, cleaning up accidents)
- Their house won’t be spotless (because dogs aren’t exactly clean)
- You may have to put up with the occasional doggy kiss
- They will take thousands of pictures of their dog, not you
- You will probably be referred to as ‘mummy’ or ‘daddy’ when the dog is around
- After you fall in love it may be difficult to tell if they love you or the dog more….